tomjtx;199863 Wrote:
> opaqueice,
>
> I would be interested to hear your impression of transporter.
> Will you post on that?

Absolutely.  Ideally we will do an A/B of an SB3/TP, both analogue outs
and digital to a DAC, but that depends in part on the patience of my
host...

Patrick Dixon Wrote:

> I hear differences between them when I listen to music through them.
> What exactly those differences are down to, I can't say for certain.
> But on the other hand, I am sure that you need to re-calibrate your
> theories with a touch of reality.

If you really heard a difference due to distortion at -120 dB, it goes
against every piece of research on this subject I've ever seen (which
is only a small sample, so if anyone has a reference to something
contrary to that I'd be happy to see it).  And it's not *my* theory -
but thanks, I'm flattered - it's the theory developed over centuries by
scientists doing carefully controlled experiments.

> (BTW, doesn't your 'theory' above make a nonsense of all the precise
> volume matching normally advocated in DBT? A couple of 2dbs here and
> there would obviously make no difference at all ...)

No, not at all - that's something quite different.  You're confusing
the absolute threshold for hearing with the minimum detectable
fluctuation in volume, which (for SPL well above threshold) is around 1
dB or a bit less.

--
opaqueice