opaqueice;200119 Wrote:
> I couldn't hear any difference, either between the TP and SB3 as
> transports or as analogue sources, despite trying very hard - several
> times I thought I did hear something, only to lose it quickly. My
> friend (who's a certified second generation audionut) was also unable
> to hear any difference.
>
> Phil thought he could detect a slight difference in soudstage width, so
> he tried guessing which was TP and which was SB3.  On the first try
> (comparing them as transports) he made one guess, but what he thought
> was the TP, with the wider soundstage, turned out to be the SB3.  We
> then hooked up the analogue outs, where you might think there'd be a
> bigger difference - and again (on one guess) the one Phil thought was
> the TP was the SB.  On the final attempt Phil again thought one had a
> slightly larger soundstage, and - based on his previous attempts -
> guessed it was the SB... but it turned out to be the TP.
It doesn't surprise me that there was no difference between them when
used as digital transports, but your findings when using the analogue
outputs don't match my own.

Here are a few things you didn't mention that I think might have some
bearing:
1. Were you using the Transporter's balanced or unbalanced outputs?
2. Was the input downstream of the TP/SB3 balanced or unbalanced?
3. Was there a preamp in the signal path, or were the TP and SB3 going
straight to a power amp? If there was a preamp, what make/model?
4. Were any other "processing" units involved (eg. Tact)?

--
cliveb

Performers -> dozens of mixers and effects -> clipped/hypercompressed
mastering -> you think a few extra ps of jitter matters?