Clive,

I do happen to agree with you that preamps have the most "personality"
in a system...

My BC3000 is single-ended, and we used single-ended outputs from the
Transporter (and SB3, obviously!).  Also, Blue Circle tubed preamps are
actually very neutral-sounding when compared to the likes of tubed
preamps from BAT, Modwright and TAD (these are ones that I've actually
compared it to).  As I mentioned above, I've done blind listening tests
before in this same setup minus the changes stated, and differences were
heard quite easily...so I'm scratching my head a little bit here as
well.

--
PhilNYC

Sonic Spirits Inc.