cliveb;200612 Wrote:
> Since when was the market economy "free"? Laws have been used throughout
> history to protect industries from the natural course of events -
> agricultural protectionism being the most widespread example. The DMCA
> is simply another such law, designed this time to protect the obsolete
> business model of the media conglomerates.

True, perhaps I have too much faith that free market forces are allowed
to take root.  Things do seem to go that way, but it often takes a long
time.  Given a long enough timeframe or an urgent demand though, it
eventually does happen.  Look at the move from wooden to steel ships
(long timeframe), the move from complex and expensive Technicolor to
Eastman colour (urgent demand), the move from "who would want a
computer in their home?" to the PC (long timeframe).  There are some
examples of failures though, for example Beta is superior to VHS in
every way, but failed due to a company now intimately familiar with
DRM, Sony.

--
Mark Lanctot