I hate to spread FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt) but I'll do it anyway...

ALAC is closed.  That means you don't know what they put in there.  Is
there a switch that allows apple to turn off files so they won't play
any more or can't be copied more than x times?  Is there something that
sends a message to apple every time you play one of those files on your
Mac/PC?

I recall that a couple years ago itunes switched off or reduced copy
capability in people's paid-for libraries without permission (other
than that afforded by the purchase contract that said they could modify
the terms at their will any time) or prior notice.  Were those file ALAC
encoded?

Proprietary formats suck.

TD

--