I'm playing with buying a transporter and have read all the threads
comparing it with a modded sqeezebox. By chance I changed my server
hard- and software and was astonished that different server sources
sound so different. Has anybody made the same experiences, and does
anybody know why and what kind of influences are behind?
Here my configurations, all are with the 6.5.2 Slimserver and the 81
client SW:
a) Synology DS106X (256 MB RAM) with a LINUX operating system. serial
ATA Disk.
b) Slim client with Xubuntu 7.04 and timetra crusoe processor (512 MB
RAM), with a via network interface controller. Disk of the DS106X is
mounted with SMB.
c) VIA EPIA CN1000 board (1GB RAM), musik files on the attached 2.5"
Serial ATA Harddisk. Win XP.
d) VIA EPIA CN1000 board (1GB RAM), musik files on the attached 2.5"
Serial ATA Harddisk. Xubuntu.
Listening with: modded Squeezebox 3 (linear power supply,
jitter-reducing converter to AES/EBU Output), siltech golden ridge
cable, AQVOX 2.0 D/A-Converter and Stax 007t/Omega2 earspeaker.
Compared with CD on a Phillips PRO 2M drive with the same
jitter-reducing converter to AES/EBU Output and the same listening
equippment.
At start, I loaded always the client sw in the squeezebox and played
the Densen Demagnetizer Track to ensure the same base for comparing.
All results depend on my personal listening of 10 different WAV files -
no objective measurement.
I found:
a) sound stage: not as deep as with the (excellent) CD drive ,
instrument location good, but not excellent, sound is rich, but in the
very deepest details not as clear as the CD Player. I like this sound.
b) sound stage: compressed, more depth than width, instrument location
floating, sound has  a little bit less dynamic than a) or the CD
player.
c) sound stage better than the CD player, instrument location
excellent, sound with a little bit more contour, not a "soft" sound,
Dynamic OK - this could become the best solution, quality at least as
good as the CD player but sound coloration and reproduction a little
bit different.
d) sound stage better than the CD player, instrument location good,
sound a little bit agressive, tends to shrill - not for listening over
hours, Dynamic not as good as c).

It seems to me that the differences of the servers are bigger than the
differences between a modded Squeeezebox an the transporter and bigger
than the differences between FLAC and WAV.
I would be happy to get your oppinions to this topic.

Georg

--
Georgie

Slimserver 6.5.1 / SSODS 2.12 / DS106X / SB3