Thought I would try a bit harder to identify the difference (if any
audible in my system); all I knew previously was that I was keen to
switch back from bypass to upsampling, but not so keen to go back to
bypass - upsampling seemed easier on the ear and more natural.

I chose a couple of songs with a good mix of low-level detail and
louder passages - Bonnie Rait's 'Thing Called Love' and 'Love Letter'
from Nick of Time (FLAC), and switched back and forth multiple times
listening to different aspects each time.

Very subtle, but definite; on complex sections upsampling mode held the
picture together better, whereas it could get a tiny bit more confused
and difficut to pick out subtleties on bypass. Loud vocal was more
likely to sound very slightly harsh on bypass, less so with upsampling,
which generally made it easier to hear low-level background detail
throughout.

Most surprising was a more solid punch to both snare and bass, with