Cliveb --

Tried the experiment.  Unfortunately, the hum was unaffected.

I inserted the paperclip into the center channel (labeled -ve) of one
of the unused DIN inputs on the Nait.  I took a wire with alligator
clips on each end and attached one to the paper clip.  I then touched
the other alligator clip to the metal portion of the RCA jack which
attaches to the Squeezebox.  No luck -- very frustrating.

So far the only thing which has any effect at all is touching (with my
fingers) the metal part of the connector going into the Nait which
connects the Squeezebox.  There is a slight muting of the hum by doing
this.

I am wondering whether inserting a ground loop isolator between the
Squeezebox and Nait would be worth trying, or whether you have any
other ideas.

--
Ned Ludd