Ned Ludd;202941 Wrote:
> Tried the experiment.  Unfortunately, the hum was unaffected.
>
> I inserted the paperclip into the center channel (labeled -ve) of one
> of the unused DIN inputs on the Nait.  I took a wire with alligator
> clips on each end and attached one to the paper clip.  I then touched
> the other alligator clip to the metal portion of the RCA jack which
> attaches to the Squeezebox.  No luck -- very frustrating.
That pretty much matches what I was expecting. That particular
experiment is checking that the screen connection between Squeezebox
and Nait is OK. That fact that it made no difference shows that it is.

Given that the hum is low level, I still think it sounds as if the
whole setup has a floating ground. What you said next tends to
reinforce that view:
Ned Ludd;202941 Wrote:
> So far the only thing which has any effect at all is touching (with my
> fingers) the metal part of the connector going into the Nait which
> connects the Squeezebox.  There is a slight muting of the hum by doing
> this.
When you do this, your body is providing a partial route to ground,
hence the slight reduction in hum.

You need to try the other experiment I suggested: connect the ground
plane of either the Squeezebox or Nait to the mains ground.

Ned Ludd;202941 Wrote:
> I am wondering whether inserting a ground loop isolator between the
> Squeezebox and Nait would be worth trying, or whether you have any
> other ideas.
Ground loop isolators use transformers, and good audio transformers are
expensive (like $50 per channel). Cheap ground loop isolators are likely
to degrade the sound quality, so you should only consider these as a
last resort.

--
cliveb

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A