Talk about summing microphones reminds me of another WBAA story.  For
many years, up through the late 1980's, WBAA used RCA 44BX ribbon
microphones for just about everything.  When a guest was being
interviewed in studio, they would sit across a small table from the
interviewer with the 44BX in the center of the table.  Since the 44BX
is bidirectional, it worked great.

In the mid 1980's, we started using a pair of AKG D224E's for
interviews.   The pair was mounted on a single stand in the center of
the table, one pointing at the interviewer and one pointing the
opposite direction at the guest.  Unfortunately, the mixer had no
polarity reverse switch, so we just wired up a short polarity reverse
cable for one of the mics.  This worked out reasonably well.

It's been years since I've worked there, but I think in the remodeled
studios they have a lot more physical separation between microphones,
so it isn't as critical to play polarity games.

--
Timothy Stockman