JJZolx;206912 Wrote:
> What are the sonic implications with regard to the simple, basic timing
> ability of the Squeezebox when over the course of a long song the two
> players can drift a full second or more apart?

The "drift" is most likely due to slightly different frequencies in the
clocks of the two units, probably arising from the tolerance in the
reference crystal frequency.  You would find the same sort of "drift"
among any number of CD players you'd care to test.  The only cure would
be to use a single clock and distribute it to all units, but who would
bother?

The sonic implications are that if you are in ear-shot of both players,
you're going to hear an echo.  Otherwise, the pitch will be off on all
the notes.  Everything will be sharp or flat.  But by how much?  If
there is a 1 second error at the end of a 10 minute song (600 seconds)
the error is 0.17%.  A above middle C is 440 Hz.  A 0.17% error in that
note is 0.73 Hz.  I doubt even the most golden of ears can hear that
(though I am sure a few will claim to).

That's why the sonic implications are a non-issue.

TD

--
tyler_durden