Heuer,

To follow up, I did some testing yesterday. Starting from a 24/96K
recording, I saved the same file in 16/44.1K, 16/48K, 24/48K, and
24/96K flac formats. I could tell the difference between 16 and 24 bits
at 48K but going to 96K didn't produce any discernible improvement.
16/44.1K was nasty sounding,
especially in low level passages, and it took longer to export out of
Audacity, starting from the 24/96K project, and the ending file size
wasn't much smaller than the 16/48K. So then it came down to choosing
between 16 or 24 bits at 48K. 16 bits left some feeling of "etching"
around some instruments that disappeared with 24 bits. There were also
some very low level parts that were clearly cleaner and more natural
sounding with 24 bits. So, the bottom line is that I will now be saving
my files as 24/48K. At this point the files sound almost as good as
playing the actual LP and they are close enough that trying to eke out
that last incremental difference by going to 96K is not worth the extra
storage and time required. It all depends on the person and the music
systems being used. To my wife, who just wants background listening,
they all sounded fine.
Thanks,
Steve

--