JohnSwenson;207933 Wrote:
> As some of you know this is exactly what I have implemented in my
> system. I have a home built DAC, the low jitter clock is in the DAC and
> feeds the SB3 as well, tapping in where the crystal usually goes. The
> I2S signals that go to the DAC chip are then tapped and fed to the DAC
> where they are reclocked by the main clock and sent to the DAC chip.
>
> This works extremely well, the jitter on the clock pin of DAC chip is
> extremely low.

Sounds great. I'm sorry I don't know about system. Which DAC chip and
supporting components are you using? How do you perform this
reclocking?

Given your DAC chip uses a master clock input, I assume it's a sigma
delta one. Parallel DACs (R-2R ladder) are a different animal, they
need only bitclock and wordclock, in addition of sdata, of course. And
my understanding is that in all cases, for the DAC chip, only the
wordclock is of crucial importance, jitterwise.
Although I must admit I don't know exactly if and how some jitter on
the master clock input of sigma-delta's can alter the audio quality.

I'm confident your system is doing very well, but I'm not sure it would
be worse if the super clocks were located close to the SB3 Xilinx, given
the possible simplification of cabling and circuitry.
For this reason, I prefer to integrate the DAC and the SB3 in close
vicinity, inside the same case, making irrelevant the question of the
super clock location (yet keeping it were Slimdevices designed it), and
allowing for a simple, short and direct I2S interconnection.
As a matter of fact, I have only one superclock, at 12.2896 MHz for
44.1 CDs, keeping the original crystal for the 48 KHz material. Given
it's mostly a lossy one, the regular crystal is good enough (and it's
not bad at all!).

JLM

--
jlmatrat