Pat Farrell;211600 Wrote:
> It is purely a myth that louder CDs get more airplay and thus more
> sales.
>
> What it does is suck all the life out of the music.
>
> And it destroys the hard work of the recording and mastering engineers.
>
> Why sweat to make it right to have some bozo crank up the compressor at
>
> the end? Its very disheartening.
>
> What is really sad is that *all* radio stations have their own
> compressors to wack the music and suck the life out of it.
20 years or so ago, I was the engineer at one of those radio stations.
For maybe a couple years, I did a pretty good job of staying clear of
the loudness war.  But, finally the management told me I must make our
station the loudest in town.  Talk about disheartening.  All the work
I'd put into tweaking on the equipment to get it to sound the best it
could was now wasted; the audio processing shredded it right before the
transmitter.  I resigned shortly after cranking up the processing.

--
Timothy Stockman