NewBuyer;212692 Wrote:
> I really wish the Transporter internal attenuation pads worked with the
> balanced outputs as well (like the Benchmark DAC1 does). This would
> have been ideal. If this had been done, I would have already bought a
> Transporter. :)
>
> I wonder if SlimDevices would please consider making this the case with
> later revisions of the Transporter. Direct connection to a balanced amp,
> with no need for another device (active or passive) to attenuate, would
> be an outstanding option to have. They understood this with the RCA
> outputs, so why not the XLR outputs too? Just wishing/wondering.
Balanced outputs are expected to have a low output impedance, so that
they can drive long interconnects. Adding passive attenuation increases
the output impedance, so perhaps Slim Devices felt that this would be
somewhat "against the convention". Indeed, there was a thread after the
announcement but before the release of the Transporter where a number of
people (including myself) urged Sean to change the TP balanced output
impedance from 1000 to 100 ohms, which he agreed to.

That said, if your interconnects are not too long, passive attenuation
is fine. Since I'd guess that Transporters are likely to be used mainly
in a domestic setting, where interconnects are not usually very long,
adding an attenuation feature seems worthwhile. But that would probably
require a revision of the main board layout, and on a low volume product
like the Transporter this might not be feasible from a cost-benefit
point of view. It's easy to add external passive attenuation, so it's
not like this is a burning issue.

--
cliveb

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A