CPC;214097 Wrote:
> I've been told the best connection to the primary side is the one that
> yields the lowest voltage reading from neutral to ground/chassis.

I think you'd want to measure from the local safety ground to the
signal common (say, outer ring of RCA jack), assuming the equipment
does not connect the chassis to safety ground.  So this would only
apply to "Class II" (double insulated) equipment.  But the transporter
AFAICT connects chassis to safety ground, so to make this measurement,
you'd have to break this connection - probably not wise unless you're
very familiar with safety issues.

Neutral is not a good ground reference because, although it does
eventually go back to the ground rod in the home, it carries the return
currents of equipment and appliances plugged into that line.  So it will
have an AC voltage drop due its resistance from the point of measurement
to the ground rod and the current flowing through it.  Ideally, the
safety ground wire will have no current flowing through it - unless
there's a ground fault in a piece of equipment plugged in somewhere.

So for class II equipment, this "tweak" is free - so why not?  Just
reverse the plug.  I'd still like to see some system noise measurement
that demonstrates that the tweak works though.  There's so many
audiophile "old wives' tales" floating around it's hard not to be
skeptical.

--
andy_c