opaqueice;214167 Wrote:
> Opposite of what?  I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with.  The
> components that make the biggest difference (that is, introduce the
> most distortion into reproduced sound) are mics and speakers.  There
> are two reasons:  placement and room effects, and because the drivers
> are non-linear and unable to accurately reproduce an electric signal
> (at least by comparison with other components).
>
> I don't know why there's any debate about this - you can measure how
> much difference amplifiers or digital sources make, and you can measure
> how much difference speakers and rooms make, and it's not close - not
> even remotely close.

I think what he was saying is that using the _same_ speakers and mics
that are used to amplify the live music, it sounds different live
(through the speakers) than when playing from a recording on the same
system (through the speakers). The question is whether our ADCs, DACs,
and amplifiers are "perfect" - the speakers, mics, and room are
irrelevant because they're the same in both cases.

It's plausible, but I don't buy it as such because it seems impossible
to control the experiment. I guess one way you might try it is to
completely isolate (both acoustically and visually) the performer from
the listener so that neither has any idea whether the listener will be
hearing him live or recorded. Then play a few bars each way (random
choice each time) and see if there's a perceptible difference.

--
seanadams