opaqueice;214278 Wrote:
> I guess you could do the following experiment:  put a live band singing
> into mics and playing amplified instruments into a soundproof booth.
> Digitally record the mics and instrument pickups.  As they play,
> compare the "live" sound (meaning the mics and instrument pickups going
> straight into some speakers outside the sound booth) to the recorded
> sound going to those same speakers.  So the only difference is that the
> recorded source went through an ADC and a DAC.
>
> It seems overly complicated though - why not just take any old sound
> sample, put it through ADC and DAC, and see if it's distinguishable
> from the original?  I've tried that (with crappy equipment) and the
> differences are pretty small - certainly much, much smaller than the
> differences from changing the speakers or the room, or from making the
> recording using a mic rather than the direct signal.

Well, based on my experience in the studio I can tell you that
switching a half-way decent ADC+DAC combo into the loop would not make
a major difference to the sound. Heresy I know...

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...

...SB3+TACT+Altmann+MF DACXV3/Linn tri-amped Aktiv 5.1 system and some
very expensive cables ;o)