servies;215708 Wrote:
> Yada yada... :)
> Did I already mention your hearing is crappy?

I agree, and am quite sure that you are right.  However, my ears are
what I listen to music with, so that is how I evaluate products related
to listening to music.  This seems reasonable to me.

I often get to a point in an A/B listening session where everything
sounds the same, at which time I grab a coffee and chill for a while.
If there are differences I can normally hear them, often quickly but
sometimes less so, and if, over a few sessions, I really can't tell the
difference then I don't get fussed about it, buy the cheap or pretty
one.

Conversely, with difference testing there is all sorts of analysis you
have to do to prove the audibility of differences, and all you do is
prove the testing equipment rather than the music experience.  If you
find any difference, it gives you no indication of what is best, and if
you don't find a difference, the equipment might not be as sensitive as
your ears.  Pointless.

If you must be pedantic, it's the brain that sucks, not the ears.  The
ears are astonishingly good at picking up sound (although they are not
linear).  The brain is astonishingly good at doing whatever it thinks
it probably should, so it doesn't need to think!

And yes, this thread does deserve to be taken out of its zone... :)

--
adamslim

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have
others

http://www.last.fm/user/AdamSlim/
'Last.fm group: people who don't listen to any of last.fm's top
artists'
(http://www.last.fm/group/People+who+don%27t+listen+to+any+of+last.fm%27s+top+artists)

SB+, EAR 859, Living Voice Auditorium II plus some other stuff
SB3, Shek d2, Ming-Da MC84-C, Harbeth HL-P3ES