Thanks for your reply Phil. Yes, I'm also interested in hearing what
different amounts of jitter sound like. That could be an intersting
experiment.

A good friend of mine is a recording engineer and we've experimented
quite a lot with the "good sounding" harmonic distortion of valve
pre-amps. It's an eye-opening experience for most people that have not
being exposed to it before!

Being an electronics engineer with a master's degree in digital signal
processing I typically prefer the more elegant technical solutions. :-)
Unfortunately that is not what I'm seeing with the transport being the
clock master - hence my leaning towards the solution where the DAC is
the clock master which simplifies things considerably, and hopefully
bringing down the price of high quality digital audio.

I agree that existing solutions using the PLL or
re-clocking/re-sampling approaches do sound good. However, the really
good ones do come at a considerable cost in financial terms :( My
believe is that the DAC as clock master can make even a cheap CD player
a great digital source. Now we need to work on the cost of DAC's which
can act as clock masters...

That's just the engineer in me striving towards the more elegant and
more economical solutions...

--
Jaco