yooper wrote:
I currently have my Transporter connected to my pre via XLR balanced,
and some (not all) albums (flac) overload my system.  I do keep the
Transporter volume at 100%.

Should this be happening?  Why do only some albums overload?  Is it ok
that I keep this adjustment at -11 all the time, any effect on overall
sound quality?
pat wrote:
Simple, some albums are mastered louder than others.
Using digital volume control can have negative impact on some signals.
It reduces the signal to noise ratio, and whenever you cut bits out, you
really should re-dither.

There are really no standards on voltages for signals, and thus the
need for gain staging.

All true but...  I'm surprised that only some albums overload.  Are you
comparing albums of similar dynamics? In the digital world, there's a
peak signal level that nothing can exceed.  Some albums may have their
average levels turned down, to prevent peak clipping, while heavily
compressed albums can turn it up.

> Would it be best to adjust attenuation within the Transporter
instead?

I would, I'd set the Transporter's internal attenuation so that when
the  TP is wide open, it does not overdrive the preamp.

Careful here, the Transporters internal attenuation does NOT affect the
balanced outputs....

If your pre-amp allows gain/sensitivity control, you could then adjust
it so that turning the volume knob to the max is just a little louder
than you ever want to listen. This will keep visitors, kids, etc. from
blowing out your speakers.

Agreed!
Cheers, Dave

--