Hi all!

First of all I think this a wonderfully interesting thread, and hope I
will not be deleted. Reading it I've thought about a few things that
I'd like to comment, excuse the length, but here are my 10 cents...

Here is an interesting link:
http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2006/02/70179

I think this gives us a pretty good idea about flame wars start. In 80%
of the cases, we think that the readers will correctly interpret the
tone in our text-based messages, in 50% of the cases they actually, in
90% of the cases believing to be correct. I personally think that both
Sean and Mats have been pretty civil throughout the thread, and
completely disagree with those claiming that the SD-staff have in any
way been exceptionally rude. But, I could of course be misjudging their
intended tone...

Moving on to the placebo effect. I does seem that Mats hasn't quite
understood what that is. The placebo effect in this case is not in any
way an effect of fooling yourself that you hear something that you
actually don't. It's simply a phenomenon of how the brain processes
incoming information, what information is "picked up", and what
information is discarded (actually dimensional, not dichotomous). This
way of functioning is totally necessery for the brain to be able to
distinguish between relevant and non-relevant stimuli. For instance, if
you are having a conversation with a friend, while others are talking
beside you, you and your friend will actually "not hear" what the
others are talking about, that is give their verbal sounds verbal
meaning. In this case you would say that the sounds of your friends
voice is "clearer" than the sounds of the others speaking. This is a
"placebo effect", but no one would say that you are making it up,
because you actually can't retell what the others are saying.

Another thing with the brain is that is constantly seeking information
about that indicates that something "important" is happening. That's
basic survival instinct, things that are important should be attended
to so that they can be dealt with properly. As things become more
important they are also more hightlighted so that attention is more
readily focused on them and decisions about what to do can be made
quicker. This means that stimuli (like sounds) that _could_ be of the
important type, are detected and highlighted so that we can act. If
you're expecting a phone call from a girl you would like to date
(important!) and listening to music on a high volume, you will
constantly be hearing the phone ringing, because sounds in the music
that resemble the signal of your phone will be interpreted as such.
It's impossible for us to consciously separate real from fake ringing
tones, the meaning of the sounds that the brain adds is the only source
of information we have!

The thing about humans is that we're able to add "importance" to almost
any stimuli. If it is important that my new stereo sounds well, any
information that can be indicative if this or the opposite will be
highlighted and perceived as more audible. So, expecting the sound to
be different when you use two different methods of pausing the SB will
infact produce different perceptions, your brain will highlight
different properties of the sound.

To test if Mats experience is a result of selective processing or not,
no fancy testing equipment is required. As has been pointed out, he
simply has to prove in a blind test that he can more often than chance
will accurately say what method of pausing was used. The blind test
that Mats performed wasn't that good for a number of reasons (e.g. too
small n, dependence between trials), but it's simple to produce one
that is.

I suggest the following protocol:
* Mats is blindfolded, and preferrebly listens to the music with
headphones.
* A neutral person roles a die, if the result is odd (1,3,5), method 1
us used to pause, otherwise (2,4,6), method 2 is used.
* It is important that Mats won't be able to draw conclusions from the
time of the pause, therefore the neutral person should press the "play"
button at a fixed number of second since pausing the music.
* 30 trials are made, and for each trial the number on the die is
noted, the method used, and whether Mats correctly identifies the
method.

Then post these data on the forum, and a simple chi-2 test will reveal
to what degree we can be certain if the sound differs or not. Note that
being right in only 70% of 30 cases indicates a 97% chance that Mats is
correct, so 100% identification is not necessary.

I don't think it's unfair to expect Mats to perform this blind trial
after all this fuzz, since it is easy and would demand considerably
less effort than contacting people with fancy testing equipment.

/Brjánn

--
brjann