mister pig;217726 Wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am ne to this forum. And am probably going to ask a question that has
> been answered many times.
>
> I will put this up front. I write for an E-Zine...Affordable Audio. I
> have a SB 3 that I plan on doing a review on.
>
> My digital front end consits of an Audio Magic Kukama DAC and JVC
> XL-Z1050 TN CDP used as transport. Its been my experience that the TOTL
> Japanese machines of this era make a darn fine transport. Digital cable
> is Audio Magic Illusions 4D.
>
> The computer music server is set up on a pair of Western Digital 250G
> external hard drives. I-Tunes is the format. A Benchmark media tech
> worked with me to get it properly set up for what they call "bit
> transparent" playback.
>
> So far I love the way ease of use the SB3 has. Wonderful product in
> this regards. But I have not got it to equal the sonic perfomrance of
> my traditional transport yet. So where can I go from here to get this
> unit optimized so i can write a review on it?
>
> Regards
> Mister Pig

First, if the music files are in ITunes, are they in Apple Lossless
format (ALAC)?  If not, then you would be comparing lossy files that
have thrown away music data to achieve better compression to the
uncompressed music from your CD player.

Second, if they are already lossless ALAC files, the SlimServer has to
transcode them for the SB3 to play them.  The SB3 does not play native
ALAC files.  You need to make sure that the SlimServer is transcoding
them to a lossless, compressed format (FLAC) or an uncompressed format
(WAV).  If they are being transcodeded to MP3, then you are again
comparing lossy to uncompressed.

So, to do an "apples to apples" comparison (pun intended), you need to
make sure that the SB3 is receiving either FLAC or WAV, so that the
bits coming out of it are the same as those coming out of your CD
player.

--
jeffmeh