So far I have had one afternoon of recording sweeps, an evening of
tweaking drc settings, and one evening of listening. So far I am very
pleased.

I used a tascam us-122 and ecm8000 for measurement. The measurement
process went very smoothly thanks to Hugh's great instructions. I spent
all of Sunday afternoon on this, taking different sweeps with different
speaker locations, at different levels. However it need not really have
taken that long - my first sweep was as good as the last. Next time I
wont wait for the rest of the family to be out for the whole day.

The filters created with the normal.drc configuration sounded good,
with no obvious artifacts, but soft.drc is better. Soft.drc shows
distinctly broader, sharper stereo imaging. I have not yet listened to
minimal.drc (which the drc manual suggests should be the first one to
try). All of these filters made a good job of getting the bass under
control - I had an unpleasant peak at 60Hz.

All of the stock target curves did leave the bass feeling a little
weak, happily solved by adding a 0dB to 8dB ramp between 80Hz and
30Hz.

The attached graph shows measured impulse response in green, filter in
red, and test_convolution in blue. Full sweeps and filters at
http://www.tarind.com/toby_inguz_8.zip, should anyone be interested in
looking closer.

One minor disappointment - the speakers live on wall brackets and are
moved to a better position for serious listening. The DRC manual
optimistically suggests "placing the speakers near to the walls, or may
be even in the corners, might sometime give better results with DRC",
but that was not the case for me. (sweeps for that configuration at
http://www.tarind.com/toby_inguz_2.zip)

Toby

|Filename: drc_8_soft_bkb.jpg                                       |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3164|

htrd