krzys;223930 Wrote:
> Sean, I understand you very clearly, the theoretical point is there.  As
> I said max level, no replaygain and no processing. But when I feed my
> system from the PC sound card or from  cd player used as transport
> playing the same file, the level is higher than from the SB.
> Is it possible that my SB has some defect in the SPDIF ?
> Until now no other member has reported such a problem ?
> Chris

Chris, sorry but no, it is not possible for a "defect in the SPDIF" to
cause lower volume. The only thing that can cause lower volume is
mathematical manipulation of the signal, i.e. a volume control of some
kind.

There are a few tests you can do to confirm that the s/pdif signal
level is correct. First, you can use Squeezebox's built-in sine test to
generate a full-scale sine wave. To run the test, power cycle the
Squeezebox (or press and hold power) and then on the splash screen
press '3'. (make sure you amp is down and/or speakers unplugged). Then
measure the output of your DAC (AC volts) with a multimeter. It should
equal the max RMS output level spec for the DAC. Usually this is 2V
rms. If your DAC specific peak-to-peak instead of RMS, multiply the
reading on your meter by 2*√2 to convert to pk-pk. However, be
aware that this test  assumes that the DAC is behaving correctly and
that its listed specification is correct.

A better test is to inspect the data that is coming out of the s/pdif
port. To do this you will need a PC sound card that can take a digital
input. Record the output from the squeezebox and then look at the data
using either an audio editing program or if you're feeling brave, a hex
editor. Record the output from your CD player in the same way and you
can then compare side by side.

Please understand I am not saying that there is no way your Squeezebox
could sound quieter. What I'm saying is that if it really is quieter,
it's because of some volume control in the chain, not a defect.

--
seanadams