barty;224693 Wrote:

> For the tube naysayers, I'm betting you've never lived with a good
> modern tube rig.  It's many people's natural instinct to feel it is
> antiquated technology.  But with modern capacitors and transformers,
> tube amps can be world-class with none of the faults associated with
> early designs.  Remember, the tube is still one of the most linear
> amplification devices known and is still used in numerous military and
> satellite technologies.  And believe me, they don't use them because
> they sound "warm"

You're right, it's not because they sound "warm".  It's because they're
resistant to the electromagnetic pulse that results from a a nuclear
attack.  So if you value maximum survivability in your hifi, good
argument.  Although radiation sickness does tend to decrease enjoyment
of just about anything...

--
opaqueice