opaqueice;226140 Wrote:
> I'm very confused by this discussion.  According to Sean the TP can
> resolve 21 bits, which means the last three are meaningless (and for
> the SB it's considerably worse).  Rounding errors from digital
> attenuation can only ever affect the last bit.  So what are we talking
> about?
>
> I think it's ordinary signal/noise logic, which applies equally well to
> analogue controls, that tells you not to turn down the volume too much.
> The digital stuff is a red herring.

The comment about volume control was a last minute aside. (I must
remind myself to stop making these last minute asides which screw up my
main message!). And I agree, SNR is the real issue in practical terms.

The main point of my post was to explain upscaling and why it isn't to
be feared.
Darren

--
darrenyeats

SB3 with Inguz -> Sony DAS-703ES DAC -> Krell KAV-300i -> PMC AB-1
(home-made room treatments and supports)