I find that I use my headphones with one of my squeezeboxes quite a bit.
Yes, the headphone out leaves a bit to be desired.  I have a set of
$100 Sony around-the-ear headphones - nothing really special, but I
like the way they sound and feel on my head.

So, I broke down and ordered a headphone amp from Practical Devices.
Hopefully my XM4 will arrive early this week.

It's a little more expensive than the Total Airhead suggested by
another poster, but it includes an option for having a lithium battery,
includes a charging circuit for nicad or nmh recharchables.  Bass boost
and variable crossfeed are other features.  And if you are so inclined,
you can switch out op-amps since it is socketed.

The analog line-outs of the Squeezebox sound good to me, so I'm sure
they will sound great with the XM4 headphone amp.  Yes, it would be
nice to have a headphone amp with a digital input, but that brings you
into an enitre new class of headphone amp - I'm not prepared to make
that kind of an investment :-).

--
maggior