opaqueice;227819 Wrote:
> You're assuming, contrary to all evidence, that the music industry
> learns from its mistakes.  :-)

Good point well made :)

opaqueice;227819 Wrote:
> I'm sure there will be new hi-res formats.  In fact I expect we'll see a
> rather large proliferation of them in the coming years, as
> bandwidth/memory constraints become entirely irrelevant and music
> production gets easier for small companies.

Yes but we already have exactly what we need - hi-res downloads.  We
might see new audio file types, beyond WMA, MP3, FLAC, AAC and so on,
but the only companies that can actually release a hard 'format' are
the real hardware biggies - Philips and Sony and the likes - especially
if they have a tied software division.  My assertion - and I agree
that's all it is - is that we will not see a HD-DVDA or HQA-Blu-ray.
Bet you 10p :)

(And yes, I know I can never win that bet!)

Adam

--
adamslim

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have
others

http://www.last.fm/user/AdamSlim/
'Last.fm group: people who don't listen to any of last.fm's top
artists'
(http://www.last.fm/group/People+who+don%27t+listen+to+any+of+last.fm%27s+top+artists)

SB+, EAR 859, Heybrook Sextets plus some other stuff
SB3, Shek d2, Ming-Da MC84-C, Harbeth HL-P3ES