Well, I'm not expecting miracles, but have had good experiences with
small affordable bookshelf speakers before. I was very happy with my
last pair, Rogers LS 3/5a, which I unfortunately had to part from when
moving across the Atlantic. If the Wharfedales was on par or close
enough to what I experienced with my Rogers I'd be more than happy.

I'd be open to other suggestions, also more expensive options, but like
the idea of active monitors. So please, if you have experience with some
other speakers for a setup like this, share it.

--
Nils