opaqueice;229907 Wrote:
> Could you describe the DBT you mentioned earlier in which you heard the
> difference between S/PDIF and AES/EBU?  What was the source, and what
> was the DAC? How well did you score?

Can't possibly enumerate all the systems in which I was shown
differences between connections and/or cables in sighted comparisons
(note that "difference" with me does not automatically imply that it's
worthwhile, let alone from a quality-price-ratio perspective). But
*feel free to have a good laugh* at me trying to remember a handful key
moments that either made me reconsider my scepticism/prejudice, ordering
them (I hope correctly) historically:

1) Perhaps the first single blind listening "forums" (basically an open
afternoon announced in a flyer) dedicated to "digital connection" (as
they called it back then) I remember attending was thanks to an audio
dealer I remember fondly for organising events like it once a month in
the early to late nineties, but who at some point turned his attention
completely to car audio (doing so much better there financially). A
comparison of AT&T optical twice (one short, the other run through a
huge coil the size of a truck wheel, i.e. several hundred feet worth of
optical fibre) versus S/PDIF coaxial twice (three cables, antenna plus
two a so-called audiophile ones by a well-known cable maufacturer whose
products I never learnt to appreciate) using a Krell MD-10 transport and
Krell X-64 something (help, can't recall model) converter. It was
revealing insofar as one could tell which was which 100% of the time
with different kinds of music, but I remember being perplexed that the
point of the whole thing should have been to prove the superiority of
the AT&T connection - I basically found something not to like with
every single option. But indeed, that extra long AT&T sounded almost
identical if reliably a fraction duller/less dynamic. Apart from the
fact that the 75? antenna cable coax, which barely to fit into the
heavy duty WBT RCAs of that era, sounded noticeably worse, I couldn't
pick a winner (others their favourites), and ended up leaving with
mixed feelings after a few hours (I believe I'm patient - some say
stubborn).

2) One of the first times I could compare AES/EBU blind was at a forum
I attended in the mid-nineties as part of the Swiss HighEnd exhibition,
when Micheal Elliott (introducing his Counterpoint DA-10/DA-10 combo)
did a double blind comparison plugging in several DAC chip boards (AD
1862, Crystal 4328, BB PCM69AP and the then much talked-about Ultra
Analog UA20) and preceeded to confuse everyone adding a comparison of
BNC direct versus BNC isolated versus AES/EBU cabling in a second
round. We were asked to hand in a score card and discuss our impression
before he told us what he'd done (which included well-placed and
acted-out red herrings such as plugging the same DAC back in etc.). It
was relatively easy to tell apart and re-group what one had heard in
the first round, and chaotic once he started jumbling together a few
DAC and cabling options (I noticed a number of people gave up filling
in their score cards after the first round). The importer had offered
some audiophile CD to win, and in my youthfully competitive I tried on,
still got all the DAC board pluggings right, but got confused and lost
track of cabling switches, the situation making me feel as if I were
back in highschool taking an exam). Was really miffed that several guys
got 100% right. Did I mention I hate loosing? ;^)
I came away thinking I would have preferred a virtual combination of
the virtues of his AD and UA boards, and that contrarily to what
Elliott tried to prove, the AES/EBU connection sounded more realistic
than his preferred isolated BNC (referring back to the consistent
results in the first round).
In the aftermath discussion, people referred to one of the S/PDIF (the
one tagged "direct", if I remember correctly) as "punchier", "more
colourful" etc. (the other, if memory serves right, "isolated" BNC was
only being referred to in "better is the enemy of good" type sentences)
- it was one of those times that I realised that the average audiophile
may not literally want "high fidelity". The AES/EBU, albeit in
hindsight perhaps not even as well implemented as it could/should have
been, simply added less coloration in the midrange. It may have been on
that day that I first started wondering if there is a correlation
between a wider band energy spread (sound pressure across the spectrum,
versus less at the upper and lower end, and quasi-analogue overemphasis
in the middle that some like to call "warmth") and faster onset and
settling. Some referred the S/PDIF's spatial forwardness, and indeed, I
also found the spatial presentation of the AES/EBU connection noticeably
wider and deeper, of the S/PDIF narrower and more forward (and secretly
agreed with one person who remarked that the soundstage seemed to
extend behind the speaker with AES/EBU, finding the comparative
coplanarity with the speakers in S/PDIF mode "clustered").
In all this, I'll admit the concept of "spatiality" (versus
spatiousness) is highly debatable in stereo, although I'll go with
legendary conductor Ernest Ansermet in preferring what he called the
"imagined" (not imaginary) spatiality of stereo to none (which is what
mono offered to him) - one might wonder if we should consider him lucky
he didn't live to hear modern surround sound ;^)

3) Another S/PDIF BNC (plus RCA using adaptors, simply read on) versus
AES/EBU single blind comparison at the same show but a year or two
later, this time by the importer of the Camtech transport/DAC combo,
proved two things: firstly, to plug on a BNC-to-RCA adapter on the
sockets on each side, so the mickey could be taken out of some
competitor's ever-so-costly RCA cable came across as infantile and was,
sonically speaking, a waste of people's time; secondly, contrarily to
what the man tried to make everyone believe, the AES/EBU connection did
not just sound better, the reason it could be reliably singled out
consistently again was the same as mentioned above (cf. 2). But then, I
knew what to listen for (so much for "single blind" comparison).

4) The lengthiest or most extensive double blind test apart from ones
in my own "music chamber" was with someone who owns a Madrigal No.
36/No. 37 combo, comparing S/PDIF RCA (two cables, one from another
brand than the other three) versus BNC versus AES/EBU, and who invited
me over curious if I'd confirm his own sighted findings. Interestingly
the odd man out RCA cable stuck out more than the "same brand" RCA
cable, which was close enough to the BNC version I continually put down
a question mark behind my numbers (got it wrong three times out of
twenty the first three times, until I knew what to listen for - again,
one think of that happening as statistically suspect). No use
explaining why the AES/EBU connection could be identified reliably (cf.
2 and 3 above). Guess which type of connection the host uses...

5) Three sessions with a friend doing blind comparisons of AES/EBU
versus S/PDIF RCA, each time using a two different out of three
transports (Sonic Frontiers SFT-1, C.E.C TL-51 something and Madrigal
Proceed PDT something, i.e. Mk2 or 3, don't remember), into a dCS
Purcell/Delius combo. 100% consistency for both of us, never a doubt
which connection (nor even which transport) we liked best. My friend
said he really expected the differences to be less demonstrable, and
ended up quipping about our "misspent effort and youth".

6) Have since then "forced" to listen (double blind!) a number of
audiophiles as well as unsuspecting people who merely wanted to listen
to a song or two on my stereo at home, to a comparison of same brand
AES/EBU versus S/PDIF coaxial cabling using WBT Nextgen plugs
(curiosity killed the cat). Success rate with single, double blind plus
sighted test victims so far: 100% pro AES/EBU if they paid any attention
at all, no difference if the didn't (want to) listen to the sound
quality (or were simply overwhelmed by it compared to their iPod), zero
in favour of the (great-sounding!) S/PDIF mode. Rather one-sided given
the fact that the Nextgen are really an improvement over what other RCA
plugs I've tried/used over the years. Haven't yet had an opportunity to
compare a Nextgen-terminated cable to a BNC-terminated one, though, but
back when I still had one of those, no one preferred it to the AES/EBU
connection.

To think that none of these comparisons take long-term effects
(obviously, I could only do that sighted for myself) into account.
Guess which in my experience is at once more relaxing and engaging to
listen to, for hours, and hours, and hours... :-)

Oh, and ere I forget, let me remind us all, myself in particular, of
the obvious: what does all of the above prove? Nothing!

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

--
acousticsguru