jdm56;230314 Wrote:
> All I can tell you is that is contrary to multiple loudspeaker articles
> I've read over the past 30 years, which have unanimously stated that
> dipole's output falls off with distance less (about half the rate) than
> monopole's.

There are two differences. Monopoles produce a simple radiation pattern
which is non-directional (meaning the air is always flowing towards or
away from the source) and with a sound pressure level that falls off
like 1/r^2.  Dipoles are slightly more complicated - far away they
produce a radiation field which also falls of as 1/r^2, but with a
cosine dependence on the angle (directly in front and behind it's
maximized, and to either side it's zero).  Therefore if you normalize
to the SPL on-axis far away the dipole radiates 1/2 the power of the
monopole.

However dipoles also produce a near field component with an SPL that
falls off like 1/r^4.  So the SPL falls off much more rapidly for a
dipole when you are close to it, and slightly more rapidly when you are
far away (in units of the wavelength of the sound).

There's also a difference in the dependence on frequency - a dipole's
radiation power grows very quickly with frequency, which is why the sky
is blue.

> And if "non-directional" is synonymous with "monopolar" to you and
> your crowd, then I suggest the lot of you get yourselves a good
> dictionary and have a go at it.

I didn't say they were synonyms, but non-directional here implies
monopole.  Any other radiation pattern varies with angle as you move in
a circle around the speaker.

Mattiasa;230330 Wrote:

> opaqueice: I too have ordered a ATI 6012, mainly because of 5.1. I have
> listened to the Orions with more power (Rotel RMB1077, 7x130W ICE
> technology), with no issues. But, I do not believe you'll use more than
> a maximum of 20W per channel, as the efficiency is really good.

Congrats!  Yeah, I agree it's probably fine using more power, but as
you say it probably won't be necessary (I have neighbors!).

--
opaqueice