kifysara;230734 Wrote:

> For example, a quote from the guy that opened the thread (hope he
> doesn't mind):
>
> "The paper concludes with the note that the high res releases sounded
> much, much better than the same music on CD, for well-known mastering
> reasons."

I saw that hydrogenaudio thread not long ago. When you say "clarified
some points" I am a bit worried since I thought your quoted statement
in particular was an unclear one. And in fact I still don't know which
way you interpreted the quote. :-)

AndyH-ha explains it just a little later in the thread: "If so, then
the tests say there is nothing at all about SACD per se that is better
-- except the mastering standards, which are quite irrelevant to the
tests. Those differences from CD are arbitrary processing decisions and
have nothing per se to do with the different technologies."

So SACD (or DVD-A) may well be mastered better than CD but these are
commercial or political decisions and nothing to do with the format
qualities.

The paper reports they took hi-rez material and down-sampled it to red
book appropriately, and people couldn't tell the difference. The point
is when you use identically mastered source no difference can be
detected between the consumer formats.
Darren

PS: The test involved even more than down-sampling -  in fact a
CD-quality A/D/A loop after the outputs of a hi-rez player, a neat way
to minimise the variables. So we hope the physical equipment was
transparent...it seems so because no differences were detected from it
(or of course the change in format) according to the report.
Darren

--
darrenyeats

SB3 / Inguz -> Sony DAS-703ES DAC -> Krell KAV-300i -> PMC AB-1
Dell laptop -> JVC UX-C30 mini system