Dyak;231539 Wrote:
> I am skeptical of "their" claims and will test and evaluate them for
> myself.  I was skeptical of the audible benefits of component vibration
> control.  I was skeptical ... snip
>
> But I've researched, tested, and then evaluated, which is the very
> foundation of critical thinking which you just bashed in your post.
> As defined on Wikipedia:  "Critical thinking consists of mental
> processes of discernment, analyzing and evaluating. "

Its a matter of degrees, I guess.  When I see statements I know or
suspect to be ridiculous, I make a decision NOT to spend money/time to
test them.  THAT is the essence of critical thinking.  If you have to
go out and test everything for yourself you're NOT applying critical
thinking.

If I tell you that shooting yourself in the head will make your system
sound better, will you test it?  Of course not.  No one would,
therefore everyone is capable of applying critical thinking to some
situations.  Critical thinking is about applying your knowledge and
experience.  Knowing the effect of a gun is enough to know that it
can't possibly improve the sound of your audio system.

Granted some folks have less knowledge and experience than others and
therefore will need to perform more experiments, but another place to
apply critical thinking is in knowing whose opinions to trust and in
the design and analysis of the experiments.

The first sign of someone being less than trustworthy is when their
income depends on your believing what they have to say.  There are
other factors as well, such as the person's statements about other
topics, etc.  Some people are just misled and repeat what they have
heard elsewhere and others are just pathological liars and will make up
whatever pleases them for whatever reasons they have.

Surely we can agree that there is a huge change, detectable by anyone
with functioning ears, when one plays music with the amp switched off
and then switched on.  The experimenter's expectations are unlikely to
influence the result of such a test.  However, when the likely (or
unlikely) effect of a tweak is small, the effect of the experimenter's
expectations must be considered.

Someone wraps equipment in CF and by golly, they hear a difference.
Can it be a huge difference?  maybe, if they live next to a TV
broadcast antenna or similar high power RF source.  If not, which is
the majority of locations in the world, it will be at most a slight
difference.  This requires proper experiment design to test with any
significance.  Proper design includes double blind testing.
Instrumentation would be better than a human listener because it has
fewer biases, but then you open the whole measurable vs. audible can of
worms and the whole thing, like this thread, quickly becomes
mind-numbing.

No one has denied that there may be an effect when wrapping equipment
with CF cloth.  It is conductive.  Conductive shields are used in
electronics everywhere.  The difference is that those conductive
shields are part of an overall system design to improve or maintain
performance.  What has been pointed out is that using CF cloth as a
shield is likely to end up wrecking the very equipment that the CF
wrapper is trying to improve.  It has also been pointed out by
experienced people (well, me, anyway) that handling CF cloth in a
living space is not a good idea because the same flying fibers that
will short electrical circuits are easily inhaled and caught in the
eyes and skin and the reaction is definitely unpleasant to say the
least.

I'm going to apply some critical thinking here and state that using
aluminum foil instead of CF cloth is likely to provide the same audible
benefit as CF, but it doesn't have the associated risks (or cost).
However, having been schooled in electrical engineering and worked as
an RFIC designer and applications support engineer for about 15 years
of my past career, I can also tell you that the haphazard method of
randomly placing sheets of aluminum or CF cloth on objects without
actually "designing" the system as a shield is just as likely to cause
as many problems as it fixes.  Ungrounded pieces of metal wrapped
around signal leads are as likely to acts as antennas as they are
shields and capacitively couple noise into the circuits they are
intended to protect.

I know a lot of people like the way CF cloth looks. It is pretty stuff,
in an industrial sort of way.  If they use it in cars, motorcycles,
aircraft, and even bicycles, it's gotta be good for audio, too, right?
Wrong.  Advertisers have worked for years to train people to think that
by showing pictures of high performance cars you'll think that the
computer is faster; that because some athlete wears a particular brand
of shoes, you'll be able to do what they do if you wear the same shoes;
smoking is sexy and enhances athletic performance.  The list goes on and
on.  CF is a material that all sort of magical properties have been
assigned to simply by the nature of the things it is used in, and for
audiophiles, by its high price tag.

Critical thinking, indeed!

TD

--