Just for fun I connect my SB3 to a Merging Technologies Mykerinos Audio
Card.
The Mykerinos is a very accurate and expensive audio card used for
sound recording and mastering form 41.1Khz to DSD.

The card is delivered with a software called VS3 Check.
This software consist of a litte mixer and configuration tool.
One of the configuration tool is used to measure jitter (VS3 Input
Check).

My test simply consist at connecting the SB3 SPDIF Optical output to
the Mykerinos ODI input. (ODI:optical digital interface) and read the
jitter value.

The Mykerinos could be synced to various type of sync signal including
Word Clock,Video Bi-Level and Tri-Level, Input and finally internal.
For the test I used Input as the sync source (the SB3 Spdif Out)

The SB3 read a very low jitter reading between O to 2ns and no
deviation (a steady 44.1Khz).
This is excellent and close to perfection.

In comparaison connecting the Spdif out of my Yamaha AP-U70 give a very
high jitter and deviation, so much that the sound is totally distorted
and masked by the jitter.

Connecting a Merging DUAII Audio Converter provide a Jitter between 5
to 6 ns (this a very good reading).

Note that the only way to sync my Yamaha APU-70 Spdif output was to go
trough the DUAII AES Input.

Nice job Slimdevices !

PS I included a picture of the tools.

|Filename: Jitter.jpg                                               |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3502|

mftech

Tête à FLAC