darrenyeats wrote:
> That might be true but the reason is not necessarily red book.

RedBook can sound amazing. For proof, go to the Royer Microphone site,
and order their $4 sample CD. Its amazing.

> Both were
> recordings of live performances, and I know in at least one case the
> recording technique was very simple.

Recording good musicians in a good room with Blumlien techniques
requires just two quality mikes. I have two matched AEA R84 ribbon mics
that sound fabulous. I've also got a set of matched Neumanns.

Simple is the easy way to get fabulous recordings, but it requires the
more from the musicians, and you can't fix it in the mix.