amcluesent;233497 Wrote:
> >mp3 data compression is a different animal to gain
> compression/limiting...<
>
> Yep. The point I failed to make was that the loudness war has so
> mangled the music dynamics and introduced digital clipping, that the
> subtleties have been lost long before lossy compression affects tings,
> so V0/320/FLAC won't sound very different.

ah - OK.
Following this reasoning, it should be easier to hear FLAC vs Mp3 using
tracks that pre-date such things. However, whilst I do agree that many
CD's are mastered way too hot these days and there is too much
brick-wall limiting going on, it doesn't affect every disc!

One thing to try - get an old track that has a lot of residual tape
hiss on it...see what MP3 does to that...

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...

...SB3+TACT+Altmann+MF DACXV3/Linn tri-amped Aktiv 5.1 system and some
very expensive cables ;o)