Phil Leigh;234683 Wrote:
> start with a CD track - so we know exactly what the bits are. put
> through a good DAC and analogue interconnects to a suitable high
> quality and calibrated ADC - record the bits. Compare the recorded bits
> with the original bits. Any change must be induced by the cable.
I don't think that's correct. Firstly, you'd need to get the gain
staging absolutely right. Secondly, even if you do get the gain staging
spot-on, no DAC or ADC is perfect, so you ought to expect a change in
the least significant bits.

But no matter....
Phil Leigh;234683 Wrote:
> Repeat with endless cables - analyze the results.
> I'd expect to find that some cables changed the sound and some
> didn't...
If you left the gain staging unchanged between tests, then this will
indeed measure any difference between the cables. And it wouldn't
surprise me if there was some minor measurable difference in the
resulting bits. (For example, cables with very slightly different
resistances will deliver a marginally different voltage at the ADC
inputs - effectively changing the gain-staging).

But would those differences be audible? I suspect not. Your experiment
is a way to measure a difference that might not be relevant. It's the
other side of the coin to the argument that there may be important
differences which we don't know how to measure.

--
cliveb

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A