I own a Transporter and I must admit I find it lacking somewhat in
musicality. When measured in "hi-fi terms", the Transporter is very
impressive: Bass is tight, plenty of detail, good separation of
instruments etc. Put the whole thing together though and it lacks
emotion for some reason.

For example, I listened to Eric Clapton singing "Tears in Heaven" from
his Unplugged album via the Transporter. Anyone who knows how this song
came about will appreciate the emotions running through this song. When
I listen to this song on my CDP, every pluck of the guitar string and
every inflection of the vocals pulls at the heart strings. That's what
good music and a good hi-fi is abot right? When I listen to the same
song on the Transporter, it left me totally cold. OK, it could be my
system at fault, but I've had no such problems with my CDP or TT.

In the end, I realised that after listening to a few songs on the
Transporter, I was getting bored and doing something else instead. As a
result, I relegated the Transporter to a second system and bought a SB+
instead. The SB+ IMO is much better. Not necessarily better in "hi-fi
terms", but a much more musical device altogether that keeps me
listening for hours on end, usually well past a sensible bed time.

The Transporter modification threads amuse me greatly. If the
Transporter is that good, why all this fuss about modifying it? Well,
I'm off to put on my flame proof suit.

--
Ray70

Marantz SA-11S1, Spacedeck, SB+. Jeff Rowland Concentra 2. Focal 1027be