opaqueice;235411 Wrote:

> Physics is weird and non-intuitive, and the only way to understand it
> is to approach is carefully, systematically, and mathematically.  It's
> very difficult to communicate it to a lay audience without simplifying
> it to the point of basically lying.

Like anything there are two sides to this. Yes it's hard to explain it
to laymen like me. No it isn't impossible - Feynman had a gift for
describing complex physics accurately (but vaguely) to a layman. Anyone
who says "I could explain it but you wouldn't understand" is missing the
point IMHO.

Feynman proved  - by showing it could be done - that the problem was
not so much the complexity of the topics but the limited teaching
skills of many scientists. Even if you understand something it doesn't
mean you're a good teacher. These are two entirely separate skills.
Feynman was a good teacher.
Darren

--
darrenyeats

SB3 / Inguz -> Sony DAS-703ES DAC -> Krell KAV-300i -> PMC AB-1
Dell laptop -> JVC UX-C30 mini system