harmonic;235572 Wrote:
> Besides the  sb3 vs the transporter  what have you else tried ?

Numerous other digital sources, from cheap CD players to an MBL that
retailed somewhere around $10k, several SACD players, a universal DVD
player, a Benchmark DAC1, an NOS Lite DAC AH, a Bel Canto DAC, and many
more at various shows and people's homes.  Obviously I A/Bed each of
them against all the others.  But here are some data points:

in non-level matched tests, the results of listening tests are very
strongly influenced by volume.

in sighted tests, the results are strongly influenced by bias (this has
been established many times, for example by asking people to compare two
identical sources when they think one is more expensive and/or different
in some way).

in my case, no obvious differences between any of the digital sources
I've auditioned, with a few exceptions (see below).

no audible difference between a SB3 and a TP in an extremely high-end
system.

in ~500 blind tests of audiophiles conducted over a year, no audible
difference between any of three different SACD players and the SACD
output looped through a 44.1/16 ADA in several different systems.

in numerous blind tests you can find on the internet, no difference
between very expensive transports and very cheap ones.

I COULD tell the difference between the Lite DAC and anything else into
a particular passive volume control, because an impedance mismatch
caused significant distortion at low volumes.

One or two people on this forum have successfully identified higher-end
digital sources in blind tests, although with low statistics and without
careful controls.

Draw your own conclusions, but don't go around telling people they're
going to benefit from a major jump in sound quality if they buy an
expensive digital source.  It's a lie.

--
opaqueice