darrenyeats;236122 Wrote:
> Of course, I meant "cleaning an unscratched and not visibly dirty CD
> cannot change its sound". If the CD is visibly dirty then that might
> cause similar issues to scratches.
>
> I find there *are* advantages to computer-based audio. Personally I'm
> more likely to look at a CD's cleanliness when ripping than during an
> average play. Also, I tend to rip CDs immediately on purchase and so
> they're not scratched yet.
>
> Nevertheless my comments about unscratched (and not visibly dirty) CDs
> stand. They are read just fine by modern mechanisms/firmware, without
> special fluids or equipment. If the fluid is affecting the DAC...well,
> I'll leave that one to another post! But let me assure you from the IT
> side of things, reading CDs isn't a big deal anymore.
> Darren

As I recall, the theory was nothing to do with reading the bits - which
is as you say a well-established process.

It was something like this:

If the servos have to work harder to track the laser and get the
(correct)bits off, they might induce electrical noise into the audio or
digital (SPDIF) circuits. This might even lead to ....Jitter!

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...

...SB3+TACT+Altmann+MF DACXV3/Linn tri-amped Aktiv 5.1 system and some
very expensive cables ;o)