jaysung;237538 Wrote:
> Hello,
> I had a chat with my local dealer this morning. I explained that the tp
> has nearly become the one and only audio source on my hifi and I would
> subsequently not need the preamp integrated into my Marantz PM-11s1.
> He said I would be basically right but...
> He wanted to know how Transporter controls the output volume. He argued
> that if it was digital turning it down to moderate levels would decrease
> the resolution of the samples by 1bit per 6db approx since the integer
> values of the samples would be decreased by digital volume controls.
> Thus the difference between very loud and nearly inaudible would be
> diminished and distortion would probably increase. . As a rule of thumb
> 6db per bit makes sense to me since we have got an snr of approx. 96db
> on 16bit samples.
> If the volume control in Transporter was analogue on the other hand he
> said removing the preamp with its analogue control of volume would be a
> good idea to increase transparency.
> I have not tried listening to a Tp on very low output volume with the
> Marantz turned louder so to actually hear something i.e to more
> resemble a pure power amp which doesn't control volume in any way but
> simply amplifies by as much power as it has.
> But anyway... Can someone educate me about whether tp has analogue or
> digital output volume regulation. And how exactly does it work? If it
> is digital is there any sort of magic math done to bypass the problem I
> tried to lay out above.
> Sean? Do you read this? ;) Tanks for any informing posts.
> Cheers
> Jeronimo

The 16-bit resolution is not an issue because the bit-depth is
increased to 24 ahead of the volume control (and the DAC works in
24-bit).

The only issue is the physical noise level of the Transporter.
Fortunately this is very very low. The digital volume control reduces
signal-to-noise ratio, but since the SNR is so high to begin with (much
greater than the 96db you mentioned) there is nothing to worry about.
Darren

PS: I have just started using the SB3 digital volume control - all as
above except the starting SNR of the SB3 is lower. Even so, I'm happy
with the results in my preamp-less set up.

--
darrenyeats

SB3 / Inguz -> Krell KAV-300i (pre bypass mode) -> PMC AB-1
Dell laptop -> JVC UX-C30 mini system