The Altmann gear is not "snake oil" - try it and see.
I'd personally stick an Altmann UPCI in first (rather than the Jisco)
as that will inject a new clock right at the DAC input (ie after the
cable). I use the Jisco followed by the UPCI but that's over your
budget.

First and foremost, with $500 to spend I'd try and get a new DAC since
that is largely responsible (95%+) for what you hear compared to your
CDP. After you have a DAC that basically sounds good you can try the
icing on the cake (eg coax vs toslink, PSU, Altmann etc etc.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...

...SB3+TACT+Altmann+MF DACXV3/Linn tri-amped Aktiv 5.1 system and some
very expensive cables ;o)