lapis molari;249727 Wrote:
> Yep, within the parameter that the SB isn't fully capable of supporting
> this function, I want it to work as well as it can.

I realize that, but what I'm saying it's never going to work well with
the current mechanism. The only reasonable workaround would be to
detect 96KHz files on the server and apply proper SRC before streaming
to Squeezebox.

> I'm confused why high-res flac's show different problems.

Probably because FLAC's data rate will vary as a function of the type
of music, the noise level of the recording, and the encoder settings.
It will vary from one file to the next, and also from one instant to
the next within a single file.

> I also hope that other people will find it useful to read that certain
> 24/96 flacs play just fine on my SB.

They might think it's useful, but it is untrue except for a very
bizarre definition of "just fine". Then they will repeat this incorrect
information whenever the subject arises, and they will call tech support
complaining about "problems" with 96KHz, they will think the product is
defective, etc. That is why this "feature" was a mistake!

What you are hearing is all of the content above 24KHz being aliased
all the way across the audible band. The reason you hear noise with
some files and not others is because some files may have nothing above
24KHz. But to say that it is playing just fine for those files is still
wildly inaccurate!

> Mr Adams, please don't remove this function. The 24/96 playback is one
> of the reasons I'm saving up for a TP, but I will sync that with my SB.
> I know several forum users have nagged you for the impossible. By all
> means, take the request on-board for an SB4. Other than that, don't
> give it too much thought.
> Again my thanks for your SB. You have changed the way I enjoy my music.
> I look forward to your next developments!

I do appreciate the kind words but I am still exhausted with this
issue. However, unfortunately I can not just ignore it because it is
causing a real problem.

--
seanadams