selfdivider;257005 Wrote:
> Thanks for all the replies! I got the Squeezebox originally b/c I didn't
> want to hook up a PC to my system, but still wanted to port my music
> which are in my hard drive. It was an impulse purchase; had I known
> that I'd be ending up spending this kind of money, I would have gone
> for the Transporter, no doubt, to match the sound quality of the rest
> of the components.
>
> Phil: I think you make a great deal of sense. Rather than spending $3K
> on a CD player, maybe I should build myself a server? But doesn't a
> good CD player still beat the sound quality of FLAC or some other
> lossless from the media server hooked to the system? That's probably
> the only reason why I'm opting for the CD player. Sound quality is what
> matters for me, and if the SQ doesn't suffer, I'd gladly build a media
> server for myself!
>
> So, I guess the question is: Transporter vs. media server hooked
> directly to the amp via an upgraded soundcard.... any
> opinions/recommendations?

Do you have a computer now?
If so, all you need is a 500gig external hard drive which can be had
for as little as 99.00 with usb2 on sale . A firewire will be about
130.00.

Then buy a Transporter and you will have a world class server for
2100.00.

Even if you need a new computer you could get a budget one with wi-fi
and still be under 3,000.00.

If you are like most of us here you will likely retire your CD player
within a few months.

I didn't even work hard to rip my library. Every time I wanted to hear
a CD I just ripped it instead of playing it and then listened.
Now, every time I buy a new CD I just rip it.

If you want you entire library immediately there is a guy on Audio
Circle that rips for 50 cents per CD. Ripped to FLAC and tagged.
But it is very easy to rip little by little and always rip when you
want to listen to a particular CD you haven't ripped yet.

The Transporter is one of the best sounding DACs on the market, I bet
you would be very happy with it.
And the SB3 you bought can go in the bedroom, that's what I did.

--
tomjtx