So since as an audiophile it is about the music foremost, I just thought
I would share this story with the members in this forum, who have
provided me with patient, helpful advice in the past that has made my
digital music experience enjoyable... and safe.

When I got into this, at first I just did the 256k MP3 thing, foolish
me taking shortcuts. This forum's experience and patience convinced me
otherwise (I thought I'd keep listening to CDs etc). So I went down the
FLAC route with dbPowerAMP secure ripping. Ripping a 2,000 CD collection
became a job that took over a year!

I never wanted to lose that music library, so early on I settled on a
mirrored, RAID network drive. Also, I backed it up to a backup drive.
Did all the right things.

As it happens, over the last 2 weeks I was truly working on compiling
and optimizing playlists. My incremental backup is biweekly. You see
the scenario coming up. :-)

My highly reliable network drive reported a damaged disk. Paranoia sets
in. Since my last backup didn't account for my work on playlists, here I
am now, panickily mistrusting my remianing drive and yet copying it over
to an emergency drive before I start the usual recovery process. Better
to have more copies.

Then it occurred to me it would be nice to have thought about an online
service that just always mirrors my music files. For less than $4 a
month mozy.com, owned by EMC, will do that, so I do think what I will
do just to make *sure* I never ever have to re-ripstuff again. It will
take a long time to copy 400GB over the net, but better extra safe than
sorry...

Just thought I'd share my scary experience...!

--
pablolie