opaqueice;260163 Wrote:
> What's the break-in time for the human ears/brain when it's introduced
> to a new device?  Is there a manufacturer recommendation?

IME the ears/brain do need time to adjust to a new sound.  I think
that's one of the problems in evaluating things after a short demo (I
don't mean just spotting a difference here, but rather expressing a
preference).  On a short listen, people often seem to pick the thing
that sounds louder and/or more exciting, but after a longer listen, the
same thing can become rather tiring.

I'm not a huge believer in long burn-ins, but I have noticed that
(linear) PSUs can take a while to settle down.  Electrolytic capacitors
may be responsible - I'm not sure what effect an ageing mains
transformer might have.

One audio manufacturer I know, contends that burn-in is entirely down
to the human getting used to the new equipment.

--
Patrick Dixon

www.at-tunes.co.uk