Andrew B.;263897 Wrote:
> Sorry Guy, I have to pick you up on this. Perhaps you are confusing
> mixing with mastering. I have never seen or heard of anyone mastering
> on headphones. Occasionally people may mix or mix-check on headphones.
> But mastering is a very separate and serious discipline, carried out in
> highly refined audio environments (lots of acoustic treatment, minimal
> equipment and distractions, built for the task) on FULL RANGE
> LOUDSPEAKER SYSTEMS.
>
> Mastering is instructive for hifi hobbyists since it is a closer
> approximation (than mixing) to what they might want to achieve with
> their own systems. The first lesson from mastering should probably be
> the importance of improving the listening room environment rather than
> fiddling with cables and power leads! The speakers used for mastering
> are often those available at the high end of consumer audio: the big
> B&Ws, ATCs, PMCs, Tannoys, Eggleston (I have never heard of a mastering
> studio using Linn or Naim but I concede that it is possible). Sometimes
> these are actively driven and sometimes passively with expensive hi-fi
> type amps made by people like Bryston, Chord and Pass Labs.
>
> B&W 8xx series are serious speakers and 802s are used for mastering for
> reasons other than simply the brand name. I agree that they may not be
> the best value, particularly when combined with a suitably powerful
> amp, which is why I often suggest people listen to the active ATCs as
> an alternative.
>
> Andrew

Andrew - the Linn and Naim labels use their own speakers...and their CD
sound quality is generally accepted as top notch.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...SB3+Stontronics PSU - Altmann
JISCO/UPCI - TACT RCS 2.2X with Good Vibrations S/W - MF X-DAC
V3/X-PSU/X-10 buffer (Audiocomm full mods)- Linn 5103 - Linn Aktiv 5.1
system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend
Supertweeters, Kimber & Chord cables