GuyDebord;265263 Wrote:
> By dynamic range I meant the DIFFERENCE between the highest signal the
> amplifier can output to the amplifiers output noise. And this
> difference (ratio)

Difference and ratio are not the same thing.  You mean ratio.

>  is usually given in db's and certainly not in other power units as your
> comment: "maximum power before clipping" might suggest .

Not at all.  The maximum power divided by the power in the noise floor
doesn't have units, and is conventionally expressed in dB.

> DR is more dependent on power regulation circuits whose output DR might
> read as compressed and yes, tube amps in SOME cases have simpler pr
> circuits.
>
> There is nothing controversial about that declaration, what is
> problematic is that it seems to take this ratio as the only thing
> important to achieve realistic audio levels. DR alone doesnt say much
> and using DR to disqualify tubes is very very simplistic. Besides its
> an old argument that doesnt say much today.

Fine - you agree that tube amps almost always have lower DR, right?  I
wasn't drawing any conclusions from that; I was just confused by your
earlier comment.

--
opaqueice